24 May 2010

D-Street Grand Opening

D-Street is the newest shop at Downtown Disney.  The shop features the Vinylmation line of collectibles among other unique items, all of which seemingly try to sell Disney as a hip and relevant brand.  For anyone who doesn't know Vinylmation is a line of figures in the shape of Mickey Mouse that have been designed by artist.  Its the same concept as the random animals or objects cities have been using for various reasons for years (think Cows on Parade in Chicago, Pigs in Cincinnati, or Orlando's Lizards).  It seems to be very simiular to the "Celebrate Mickey: 75 InspEARations"  program we saw a few years ago but these new Mickeys are much more stylish with less of the actual mickey in the face and feet. I stopped by for a few minutes during the Grand Opening and snapped a few pictures.  I was not there for the morning festiviaties but there are countless videos and pictures from it.

The morning festivities included a break dancing Mickey and an artist painting a picture of Mickey.  I arrived a little bit later and took some time enjoy the shop itself.  Many of the artist were still there, as was the live DJ out front.

The shop itself reminded me of some of the older shops that Downtown Disney has seen (Changing Attitudes came to mind immediately when I entered D-Street, imagine C.A. but with plastic miniature Mickey's everywhere), such as the black and white one on Pleasure Island. 







No comments: