So today Universal (finally) announced its plans for a new roller coaster at its Studios theme park. The roller coaster will be over parts of CityWalk adding a new level of excitement to the scene in the entertainment district. They are also adding a new karaoke bar to the mix
This news comes at the same time as Disney, just down the road, is redoing its Pleasure Island region of Downtown Disney. The Beach Club nightclub just closed and more clubs will be closing soon. They are also updating some of the restaurants and adding new or remodeled shoppes to the mix. They've added a boat taxi that takes you from one side to the other side of the shopping complex. This fall a new T-Rex restaurant will open at Downtown Disney this fall.
So with all these ideas coming to the battling outdoor malls whats next?
Here are my ideas of what to expect or at least hope for at the complexes.
First lets look at CityWalk
CityWalk is known for its loud music, tons of lights, and street entertainers. The addition to an overhear roller coaster will add to this excitement level all the more. They also have small carnival rides throughout the area. With this in mind I expect to see more attractions here in the complex (think tacky tourist attractions like on I-Drive). The area is too small for go-carts but not too small for a giant ferris wheel. Ferris Wheels are back in style and everyone is larger than the last. I expect it won't be long till the local theme parks get on this bandwagon!
These mini-attractions will be leased out to companies and will help make CityWalk a destination in itself. Just like the CityWalk outwest where a indoor skydiving attraction just opened. I expect CityWalk Orlando to get more of these style attractions. I see a zip line attraction being added, imagine being able to zip line around CityWalk, watching action take place below you.
I also see maybe a wax museum or a Sky Coaster style attraction. All these will be targeted to late teens/early 20 somethings (that is what this whole are is marketed anyway so it only makes sense). I though wouldn't be surprised to see a few family attractions also be added to the lineup here. I suspect a wax museum and maybe a Hard Rock Vault (one was built down the road and failed but with this much foot traffic it would almost be a perfect success!)
I expect to see a new hotel rise in this area also, a urban hip hotel (think South Beach) within the CityWalk area. Right now Universal has 3 (with a 4th on the drawing boards) large ultra-themed hotels. What its missing is a small hip hotel for the new uber-hip crowd that it will soon be attracting (Disney has began targeting this crowd with their ads in GQ and other stylish mags) because thats where the money is!
So with CityWalk being a hip complex with enough attractions and action to keep tourist attention for multiple nights Disney will need to up to attraction value of Downtown Disney.
The biggest issue with Downtown Disney is traffic flow (both cars and foot traffic). I expect to see a parking garage at Downtown Disney within the next few years (more than likely behind the Cirque building since this will still allow traffic to see most of the complex, a amenity that CityWalk doesn't have).
While down at this end of WestSide I will talk about some other expectations I see happening here. Disney has long wanted ways to keep visitors at Downtown Disney for more than just a few hours. They have used numerous themed restaurants, attractions, clubs, and shows. Now with T-Rex restaurant opening soon and the Pleasure Island area being more family friendly new attractions will have to keep the visitors coming back.
I say all that to show where I am coming from when I say I expect to see carnival rides around the Cirque building. A ferris wheel defiantly, maybe a few other small rides. With FunSpot doing so well on 192 now it will only be a matter of time before Disney tries this too!
Along with these rides expect carnival games throughout Downtown Disney. These games are huge money makers and visitors love them, plus they would add the extra sound and lights the area needs!
I also expect to see a new way to move foot traffic around Downtown Disney. The boats help but still not enough. Also with the absences of the Pleasure Island fireworks the sky above is all open now. I expect a skyway bucket ride (remember the one that used to be at Magic Kingdom, but with safer, newer buckets) going from one side of Westside to the Rainforest Cafe area of the Village area. Along with the traffic flow being fixed this also helps add more movement and action to Downtown Disney (it can seem all but dead sometimes, so any type of movement will help).
So remember the parking garage I mentioned before. Well I think they will need a garage because I think parts of the parking lot will be taken for more shoppes to this area. I also expect to see more ticketed attractions coming to Downtown Disney. With the HUGE success of the lego store I wouldn't be surprised to see a miniture Legoland come to the area.
There is also the rumor of Dixie Stampede going into Disney's new shopping area, Flamingo Crossing. With the shoppes and attractions over there Disney will use these two complex to compete agianst each other (much like they do with their waterparks or hotels). I say that to show why I think they will add attractions (beyond DisneyWorks, which is rumored to be closing, and soon!) to Downtown Disney.
Outside of the mini-Lego land I wouldn't be surprised to see Downtown Disney start adding elements that are on Disney Cruise Lines. Possibly a new teen coffee bar, a Broadway style theater to show different Disney musicals and Disney Ice! shows. Up to this point Disney has to rent an arena in the downtown Orlando area, it won't take Disney long to realize building their own place will be cheaper and this visitors will more than likely spend more time and money at Downtown Disney then!
So thats about it.
I expect...
CityWalk to have a mini-Hotel, a zip-line, more attractions like a wax museum or a Hard Rock Vault, and maybe a huge Ferris Wheel.
Then at Downtown Disney I expect to see carnival rides and games, a parking garage, a skyway bucket ride, a theater to show Disney musicals and Disney ICE!, and maybe a mini-Lego land.
Just my thoughts and Dreams! What do you think/expect to see at these two complexes?
19 March 2008
CityWalk vs Downtown Disney (I-4 Dreams)
Labels:
Citywalk,
Disney,
Downtown Disney,
Dreams,
florida,
orlando,
rainforest,
universal studios
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment